Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Internet Dating/First Blog

I've decided to start internet dating again. I know I'll probably regret such a decision, but I'm having a hard time meeting anyone without the option of finding someone online in front of me. I have a very limited social circle, and I also loathe bars, clubs, etc., so it seems the only option left is internet dating.

My old profile was merely just deactivated, so about two nights ago, I reactivated it. I have only received one real inquiry since reactivating. I exchanged a handful of emails, and then I gave the guy my phone number to call or text. We talked on the phone for the first time today. I don't think a future relationship is really in store for us.

We talked for a couple of hours today, but eventually, the conversation died out. He was also getting annoyed that I kept asking questions. Perhaps I have been out of the dating game for awhile, but the last time I checked, aren't you supposed to ask questions to someone you're getting to know? I eventually hung up and stated that he seemed like he needed a nap, and he exclaimed that he did and would "call me later".

I wasn't/am not holding my breath for this one, folks. Seems any possibility died before it even began. Perhaps I just have too high of expectations for a potential relationship, but someone getting annoyed that you ask questions is definitely far below these expectations.

On towards the next! I'm thinking about whether or not to start initiating emails with people. I've always had the philosophy regarding online dating, and dating in general for that matter, that if a guy is interested in me, he should make the effort. Call that lazy or traditional, but there's just something about a guy pursuing you that makes me feel more comfortable. I may fold my cards and decide to email first, but for now, I think I'm going to stick with my original stance on things.

I wonder if perhaps I need to branch out to another dating website. I've used plenty of dating websites, but have seemed to have the highest success with okcupid.com. I've also used three others in my history with online dating: Plenty of Fish, Yahoo! personals, and Match.com. The latter two were used when they were actually free services. I have yet to pay for internet dating services. I would have paid for eHarmony a few years back, but for the longest time, they refused to even offer me service, informing me that I didn't fit into any of their personality domains. What does that even mean? Within the past year, I tested the service again, and it finally was able to place me within a personality dimension, but for years and years, it simply claimed I was part of the small percentage of the population which could not be placed into a predetermined personality assessment. I think I'll take that as a compliment. I'm simply too unique to be grouped into a "type".

I've acquired a love-hate relationship with online dating. I've met some wonderful men using the service, but the higher percentage of men (90+%) have been completely psychotic. Take today for instance, my profile clearly states that I'm looking for a long-term relationship, yet I received an email from someone simply looking to meet up, fool around, and tickle me. (Crazy.) Sounds too insane to be true, but it is unfortunately. Who does that?

I haven't had what I would refer to as a substantial relationship in years. I've dated a few guys, but nothing that has lasted longer than one to three months. I'm honestly ready to settle down, get married, and have children. I've finished college, I've got a job, financially support myself, lived out my young adult youth, so now I feel it's time to move on to the next stage of my life. I have been married before (6 years ago), but I was much too young at the time, and with an already bad relationship on top of that, divorce shortly followed. The last time I was in a relationship that lasted over six months was approximately 4 years ago during my junior year of college. It was a great relationship, but the relationship ended because he was on a student visa and was graduating/moving back to his country. Neither of us was willing to do the entire long distance relationship, so the relationship just ended. We talked for a couple of months upon its closing, but when I realized he still had feelings for me, and he became overly smothering, I eased off my contact with him, until we eventually just lost contact altogether. No hard feelings though. He's a good guy and I wish him the best in life. Of all of my relationships, he's honestly the only person I can say that about. I usually have very intense breakups. I'm definitely not the type to remain friends with my exes, and 99 percent likely to despise exes. I've never really understood how people can remain friends actually. Mystery of the century.

I'm anxious to see how internet dating will go this go-around. I've decided to start this blog in hopes of keeping track of my life, regarding dating, work, and friends. I've been a member of other blogging/diary websites, but my relationships with each have ended for various other reasons. I hope writing in this will bring me some much needed stress relief and possibly the added bonus of making new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment